Published: Thu, March 08, 2018
Health Care | By Belinda Paul

Syrian assault has retaken half of Ghouta enclave: monitor

Syrian assault has retaken half of Ghouta enclave: monitor

United Nations spokesman Stephane Dujarric said late Tuesday that attacks in eastern Ghouta reportedly killed more than 100 people Monday.

The misery in a besieged rebel suburb of Damascus caused by the Syrian government's relentless push to crush the area is indicative of a "new phase of horror" in Syria's war, a top United Nations official has said.

On Tuesday, the Russian military said in a statement that its forces would provide transport and security for the rebels and their families looking to leave the besieged enclave.

So far, the Eastern Ghouta resolution has been largely ignored by the Syrian government.

Among the incidents mentioned in the statement were the November Russian strike in Atareb, which killed at least 84 people, along with three United States airstrikes on a school near Raqqa in March which killed 150 civilians. The goal of the operation is clear Turkey's Syrian border from the terrorist threat.

A spokeswoman for the International Committee of the Red Cross says the delivery of assistance to Damascus' opposition-held suburb of eastern Ghouta is a "first positive step" but that more needs to be done.

We review the key developments in Syria, including a Russian military cargo plane crashing in Syria, Moscow offering rebels in Eastern Ghouta safe exit from the area, and the SDF saying it will redeploy 1,700 fighters from eastern Syria to Afrin.

Another aid convoy is scheduled to enter eastern Ghouta on Thursday, but Laerke said security measures must be guaranteed for this to happen.

The convoy that reached Douma on Monday carried only a fraction of the relief needed for the estimated 400,000 people trapped under the government's siege.

Meanwhile, the Russian defense ministry now says it is offering safe passage out of eastern Ghouta for armed fighters as well as civilians.

It says some life-saving health supplies were not allowed to be loaded.

"People don't know where to go", Abu Muhammad, a Misraba-based member of the Civil Defense, told Syria Direct on Tuesday.

The UN Human Rights Council has ordered an investigation into the recent violence, and has already condemned the alleged use of chemical weapons.

The Human Rights Council on Monday adopted a resolution proposed by Britain in a 29-4 vote.

The overwhelming use of force combined with seemingly indiscriminate bombing has caught the attention of many humanitarian organizations as attempts to bring in food and aid have been largely unsuccessful.

The U.N. says Secretary-General Antonio Guterres is urging all parties in Syria to implement a cease-fire demanded by the Security Council on February 24.

Russian warplanes have taken part in the eastern Ghouta operation, and the White House has accused Russia of complicity in the killing of civilians there.

Like this: