Published: Wed, July 04, 2018
Sports | By Sarah Myers

Teen soccer team may be stuck in Thailand cave for months

Teen soccer team may be stuck in Thailand cave for months

The effort drew worldwide help and has riveted Thailand.

"We found that most of the boys are in green condition", he said. Mr Establie's remains were found eight days after he went missing.

Rescuers had discussed waiting until water levels subsided to get the boys out.

"Diving is not easy". Those who have never done it will find it hard, because there are narrow passages in the cave.

Mr Anupong has said that should anything go wrong during a dive out of the cave, it could be "life-threatening".

A family member shows a picture of four of the twelve missing boys near the Tham Luang cave at the Khun Nam Nang Non Forest Park in Thailand on July 2, 2018.

The Tham Luang cave complex is regularly flooded during the rainy season which lasts until September or October. "We will bring food to them and a doctor who can dive". He said the primary decision is whether to try to evacuate the boys and their coach or to supply them in place. "Brilliant", a member of the rescue team, speaking in English, tells the boys.

Chiang Rai Governor Narongsak Osatanakorn announced the development, stating "We found them safe". "Maybe some of the boys have injuries or light injuries and would be categorised as yellow condition. But no one is in red condition". But their discovery is only the beginning of their ordeal. "I miss him very much", said Tham Chanthawong, an aunt of the coach.

"After that many days, their normal circadian rhythm would start to break down", said Frappier, the scientist.

Pattaya Beach, the section of the cave where the boys are sheltering on a mud bank, is 5km into the 10km cave network and the conditions of the dive are treacherous, with nearly no visibility and rushing waters.

The 13 members of the Mu Pa Academy Mae Sai got stranded in the cave in Chiang Rai province on June 23 after flash floods hit the cave.

How did they get there?


One of the divers asks, "How many of you are there - 13?"

"Time is not on our side - we're expecting heavy rain in three days", he told BBC Newsnight on Monday. Why couldn't the rescuers help them immediately?

The boys repeatedly tell them, in Thai, that they're hungry and need food. "We must bring the kids out before then".

The SEALs' Facebook page said that since Sunday night, the divers had reached a bend where the half-mile passage splits in two directions. You just have to be overcome that fear and learn. The rescue diver replies, "England, UK".

Besides the protein drink, Narongsak said they were given painkillers and antibiotics, which doctors had advised as a precaution. Divers continued a further 300 to 400 meters where they found the team perched on a muddy incline.

He also asked the public not to be concerned about the level of floodwater while the boys are still inside the cave, as their location is safe and high enough to protect them from floodwater. "It will seem very bright when they come out into the sunshine".

"As rain is forecast in the next few days, the evacuation must speed up".

Pipob also said some Thai media were to blame, adding that instead of focusing on heavy criticism against the deputy police chief's work, it should have educated the public by providing information about the cave: from its ecosystem and dangers to survival and prevention guides.

The commander said having the trapped group dive out of the caves was one of several options being considered. USA and Australian military personnel came to support Thai authorities, as well as technical experts from the U.K., China, Japan and elsewhere.

Efforts to pump out floodwaters are continuing but it's clear that some areas of the sprawling cavern can not be drained, said Interior Minister Anupong Paojinda, a member of Thailand's ruling military junta.

Teams have been combing the mountainside looking for fissure that might lead to such shafts.

Like this: