Published: Mon, July 23, 2018
Global | By Craig Ferguson

Gunman in LA supermarket standoff arrested for murder

Gunman in LA supermarket standoff arrested for murder

Investigators continued combing the area 12 hours after an armed chase suspect ran into the market and held several people hostage for about three hours, starting around 3:30 p.m. Saturday.

The grandmother, whom relatives identified for ABC News as Mary Elizabeth Madison, was at a hospital in stable condition on Sunday. The hostage situation came to an end through the help of crisis negotiators at about 6:30 p.m., approximately three hours after the ordeal began.

The suspect eventually crashed his vehicle outside of the Trader Joe's supermarket and then ran into the store, the Los Angeles Times reported. Police fired at the driver, shattering the store's glass doors, while those inside the store took cover and laid on the floor as the suspect ran inside, he said. There was no update on her condition on Sunday, they said.

Trader Joe's said the store - known by customers as a neighborhood hangout with great customer service - would remain closed for the foreseeable future to give their employees time to process and grieve.

(RNN) - A double shooting led to a police chase and a standoff at a Los Angeles Trader Joe's, which ended when the suspect surrendered to police. The suspect, who's in his late teens, then fled in his grandmother's 2015 Toyota Camry, taking the wounded female victim with him.

"We have successfully taken the suspect into custody without incident", the LAPD tweeted, saying officers were "clearing the location". Police Chief Michael Moore said paramedics attempted to revive her but failed.

People frantically tried to flee from the store and some were seen climbing through windows, jumping down about 8 feet (2.44 meters), and others darted through the back door. The incident occurred after the suspect led police on a chase starting in South L.A., after he allegedly shot his grandmother and girlfriend.

It emerged one person was killed inside the Trader Joe's store.

The suspect had a pistol in his hand and "just started opening fire on the police behind him", Field said.

Don Kohles, 91, was walking into the supermarket when he saw a vehicle being chased police crash into a pole just outside.

"She appeared lifeless", Dunlop said.

Police officers stand guard near a crashed vehicle outside a Trader Joe's store in the Silver Lake neighborhood of Los Angeles on Saturday.

Officers have been helping people escape the store through windows with a rope ladder and through the rear of the building.

Mayor Eric Garcetti confirmed one woman was shot and killed inside the store.

"Those bullets went right over the back of me as he was running right down the main aisle", Kohles said.

He says the situation is still unfolding and it isn't clear if employees are still inside the store.

President Trump tweeted Saturday that he was watching the situation "very closely", but later deleted the tweet.

Like this: