Published: Thu, August 02, 2018
Health Care | By Belinda Paul

Wisconsin Man Loses Legs, Portion Of Hands After Lick From Dog

Wisconsin Man Loses Legs, Portion Of Hands After Lick From Dog

A Wisconsin man had to have all of his limbs amputated when he contracted a rare blood infection from his pet dog's saliva, according to a report.

An infection spread all over his body, likely caused by bacteria - which a doctor said came from being licked by a dog.

Last month, Greg Manteufel, from West Bend, started experiencing flu-like symptoms including fever, vomiting and diarrhea.

Within hours of arriving in the hospital, his body went into septic shock.

"It hit him with a vengeance", Dawn Manteufel, his wife, told the station.

Doctors pumped him with antibiotics to stop the infection, his wife said, but clots blocked the flow of blood to his extremities, causing tissue and muscles to die.

The CDC also says that although infections are usually associated with dog or cat bites, some people can develop the infection after close contact with one of those animals - especially if in contact with a dog's saliva.

The response caused his blood pressure to drop and circulation in his limbs to decrease quickly.

"There's no choice. We have no choice but to be positive and make the best of it", said Dawn Manteufel.

"He told the doctors, 'Do what you have to do to keep me alive, '" Dawn Manteufel said.

The Manteufel family created a GOFUNDME account to raise money for medical expenses.

To save his life, doctors were forced to amputate his legs from the knee down, then his hands.

Dr Silvia Munoz-Price, an infectious disease specialist with Froedtert and the Medical College of Wisconsin, told WITI that Mr Manteufel's case is an extremely rare occurrence and that pet owners need not panic.

Capnocytophaga is a normal bacteria present in the mouths of 60 per cent of dogs and 17 per cent of cats.

Manteufel contracted Capnocytophaga canimorsus, but there are other species of the bacteria that cause lesser side effects compared to what he had to go through.

Not even a week later, his legs were amputated.

The bacteria more often impacts people with a weakened immune system.

'More than 99 percent of the people that have dogs will never have this issue.

The bacteria, called Capnocytophaga canimorsus, "just attacked him", Dawn said, and it did so quickly and aggressively.

The family set up a GoFundMe page to help pay for future surgeries, therapy and hand and leg prosthetics.

Like this: