Published: Thu, September 06, 2018
Life&Culture | By Peggy Hughes

Ten passengers taken ill on Dubai-New York flight

Ten passengers taken ill on Dubai-New York flight

By the time the plane landed at John F. Kennedy International Airport, a Port Authority source said about 10 passengers had "taken ill".

Earlier, an Emirates spokeswoman had said that only 10 passengers on the flight were affected by the sickness.

Emirates flight 203, carrying about 500 passengers, landed at John F. Kennedy airport shortly after 9 am EDT (1300 GMT), according to reports from NBC TV's NY station.

Sick passengers on an global flight that landed at Kennedy Airport Wednesday forced the plane to be quarantined while investigators determined the cause of possible illness.

The flight was travelling from Dubai to NY and landed at 09:00 local time when a number of passengers were reportedly taken ill. The airline said the rest of the passengers will soon leave the plane. "The safety & care of our customers is our first priority", the statement read.

Airport officials said Emirates Flight 203 was carrying 500 passengers when some of them reported feeling sick.

"This is insane. Apparently there [are] over 100 people sick on the bottom floor, so happy I'm up top, it's a double-decker plane 380", the "Ice Ice Baby" artist said.

He said that some of the passengers had originally come from the Saudi Arabian city of Mecca, which was now experiencing a flu outbreak, and that the passengers' symptoms were "pointing to the flu". Nine others declined further medical attention, according to Raul Contreras, a spokesman for the mayor's office. A total of three passengers and seven crew members were transferred to a hospital.

The CDC said passengers "complained of illness including cough and some with fever", and health officials are working with local authorities to take their temperatures and transport those who are sick to a hospital. Symptoms of the illness point to the flu. Passengers who were not ill were eventually allowed to continue with their travel plans, he said.

The White House was monitoring the situation, spokeswoman Sarah Sanders said, and President Donald Trump was being updated as new information became available.

Like this: