Published: Thu, November 01, 2018
Global | By Craig Ferguson

Khashoggi was strangled upon entering consulate, Turkey says

Khashoggi was strangled upon entering consulate, Turkey says

Turkey's prosecutor has said that Jamal Khashoggi was strangled to death as soon as he entered the Saudi consulate in Istanbul, with his body dismembered.

Khashoggi's murder and the disposal of his remains was made "in accordance with plans made in advance", the office of Istanbul's chief prosecutor Irfan Fidan said in a statement today.

Saudi Arabia's chief public prosecutor is in Istanbul - where Khashoggi was killed on October 2 after entering the Saudi consulate - to meet with Turkish authorities as part of his country's investigation.

Erdogan said the prosecutor repeated to his Saudi counterpart Turkey's extradition request for 18 suspects detained in Saudi Arabia for the October 2 killing to be put on trial in Istanbul.

The announcement came as Saudi Arabia's chief public prosecutor, Saud al-Mojeb, on Wednesday completed inspections related to the killing of Khashoggi in Turkey.

"He should not pave the way for a cover-up of my fiance's murder", she said.

Khashoggi's death has brought near unprecedented worldwide scrutiny on Saudi Arabia and its powerful Crown Prince Mohammad bin Salman, and the journalist's fiancee has accused the regime of a massive cover-up.

"Until Saudi Arabia officially announced his death, I never gave up hope that he was alive", Cengiz told BBC Arabic on Monday.

Al-Mojeb reportedly met again with officials at the regional head offices of the National Intelligence Organization (MIT) on Tuesday night after visiting the Saudi consulate in Istanbul earlier in the day.

Abdulkadir Selvi, a well-connected pro-government columnist for Turkey's Hurriyet newspaper, on Wednesday accused the Saudi prosecutor of "working to save the crown prince by covering up the investigation rather than shed light on the murder". "We also noted that Saudi Arabia must extradite all 18 suspects to Turkey so that they can be held accountable for what they did", a senior Turkish official told CNN on Wednesday.

Trump has hedged his criticism of Saudi leaders over Khashoggi, insisting he does not want to imperil a "tremendous order" of $110 billion of weapons he says will support 500,000 U.S. jobs - figures that experts say are highly exaggerated.

Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan has also called on Riyadh to disclose the identity of an alleged local collaborator said to have been involved in disposing of Mr Khashoggi's body. What do the Saudis know about who planned the murder?

Turkey's foreign minister, Mevlut Cavusoglu, on Monday welcomed the cooperation between Turkish and Saudi investigators and said he hoped there would be no further delays.

Riyadh initially insisted that Khashoggi left the consulate unharmed, but as pressure grew, Saudi state media changed the story and said Khashoggi died when an argument descended into a brawl.

Like this: