Published: Tue, January 08, 2019
Life&Culture | By Peggy Hughes

Kevin Spacey's lawyers enter not guilty plea in sex assault

Kevin Spacey's lawyers enter not guilty plea in sex assault

NANTUCKET, Massachusetts (Fox 32 News) - Actor Kevin Spacey is expected in court on Monday to face sexual assault charges.

The Oscar-winning actor had previously said he will plead not guilty to a charge of indecent assault and battery. A wave of misconduct accusations followed, one of which came from news reporter Heather Unruh, who says Spacey groped her son at a Nantucket bar where he worked, leading to Spacey's criminal charges.

Spacey, dressed in a gray coat over a dark blazer and tie, was not asked for his plea during the brief arraignment in a crowded Nantucket courtroom, but his lawyer entered the denial on Spacey's behalf.

He had tried to avoid appearing in person at the hearing, on the beach resort island of Nantucket off the MA coast, saying in court papers he believes his "presence will amplify the negative publicity already generated in connection with this case".

The judge ruled Spacey did not have to appear at the hearing, but he needed to be available by phone.

"My client is a determined and encouraging voice for those victims not yet ready to report being sexually assaulted", attorney Mitchell Garabedian said in an email. "Spacey stuck his hand inside my son's trousers and grabbed his genitals", Unruh said. The 18-year-old said he told the actor he was a 23-year-old college student.

Prosecutors requested Spacey have no contact, direct or indirect, with his accuser, which the judge granted. The man said Spacey bought him several drinks and tried to convince him to come home with him before unzipping the man's trousers and groping him for about three minutes.

They come more than 13 months after the complaint was filed, the latest chapter in Hollywood's reckoning over sexual assault and harassment that has already seen television icon Bill Cosby jailed and movie mogul Harvey Weinstein indicted. The teen told police that he sent his girlfriend a video of the incident, which she confirmed. The teen said that Spacey assaulted him, she said.

Spacey walks to his vehicle outside of the Nantucket District Courthouse.

In October 2017, actor Anthony Rapp told BuzzFeed News that Spacey tried to sexually proposition him when he was 14 and Spacey was 26.

Later that day, the actor released video in which he appeared as his House of Cards character Frank Underwood. Spacey said he did not remember such an encounter but apologized if the allegations were true.

Like this: